THE EDUCATION OF PHYSICIANS AT WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY
BEGAN IN 1891. The independent St. Louis Medical College was
then brought under the wing of the well-established university.
Eight years later, the Missouri Medical College was added. Thus
St. Louis two renowned medical colleges enhanced the growing
The endeavor held great promise. But Abraham Flexners
1909 survey of American and Canadian medical schools called for
change. The report spurred a reorganization of the medical school,
led by university board of directors president Robert S. Brookings.
In the spring of 1912, construction began on buildings
for teaching and patient careforming the nucleus of todays
medical center. At the dedication in April 1915, Brookings voiced
the hope that our efforts will contribute, in some measure,
to raising the standard of medical education in the West, and that
we will add, through research activities, our fair quota to the
sum of the worlds knowledge of medicine.